06 July 2007

American Independence Day in Ireland

For our first Independence Day in Ireland, the wife and I went up to Swords (just north of Dublin) to hang out with some American colleagues and grill up some burgers. After I stood with an umbrella over our friend as he manned the BBQ, someone else mentioned that it's been one of the wettest, coolest summers he can remember here in Ireland since the 80's. Fortunately, we got our holiday tour in around the Ring of Kerry in early June before all the wet nastiness set in.

After our little "4th of July" get together, I began to wonder when Ireland celebrate their independence from the Brits. Funny enough, the only thing I came across was that St. Patrick's Day is supposed to be the day when the Irish memorialize their independence. I'm going to try and remember to test that out with my Irish friends because my hunch is that not a lot of Irish folk realize that St. Patrick's Day is also Irish Independence Day.

I'm guessing Michael Collins would not be happy about that! But maybe that's just because I'm a Yankee and we get kinda weird about patriotism. =) Having said that, I did NOT wear any "red, white & blue," but rather a grey t-shirt that says "Mad for Trad" that I got from Hairy Baby. How's that for patriotism . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Sir!
I just triped accross your blog comment. Congrats on another day of independance. It is always a great celebration for Americans and anyone associated with the country, as most Irish are. Just want to point out, St.Patrick was the first person to bring Christianity to Ireland. Ireland still does not have independance from the Brits. The 'wee six'is still occupied. Thank goodness we have a devolved government and a peaceful and stable society without the gun and the bullet. Division still exists across our wee patch of Irish soil. With our persistence and resolve our aim of a united Ireland gets closer. Only then, Independence Day wiil be celebrated. Though, It would be incorrect to rub the nose of protestant religion in our victories.